Friday, July 12, 2013

Carry Me Back to Virginia


I have never been to Virginia. However, a part of my mother's family is from Rose Hill, Virginia. One of my dreams is to go on a road trip and be able to see and visit the family that I have never met from there. Inconceivable dream it is not.


The mountains are special to me. Spending a year at Young Harris College in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains gave me a taste of them and I do not think I will ever get wanting to run to the mountains out of my system.

Music that reminds me of the mountains has slowly integrated itself into my musical taste. I am beginning to love bluegrass and old school Nashville. I think there is a kind of stigma when someone says their significant other has changed them in a way but Steve has introduced me to a lot of different artists and music that I would have never known about. But even without his influence I have liked bluegrass. I remember watching O Brother, Where Art Thou? when I was little and loving the music. My parents would play me a CD of Celtic Lullabies when I was little which is not so far away from bluegrass.

What I am trying to get to is that Steve introduced me to Old Crow Medicine Show. I touched on them in my post Who Did It Bettter? Music Edition. One of my favorite memories is of Steve and I singing Wagon Wheel one day at Young Harris while it was snowing outside.




There is something about Old Crow Medicine Show's music that just resonates with me. We were able to see them at the Grand Ole Opry this summer. They played Wagon Wheel and it made me tear up. I was so happy they played it. The concert was a wonderful experience. Their music makes me feel like I am in the mountains. Their CD Carry Me Back is wonderful. Some of my favorite songs are Ain't It Enough, Country Gal, and Half Mile Down.



I highly suggest giving their music a listen.


Emily 




3 comments:

  1. Virginia would be so beautiful to visit.

    myfifthavenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a women's college in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains for two years and then I met my husband here in Washington and low and behold he is from VIRGINIA! So we go back to visit his family every summer. It's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mountains. Our family has homecoming every year and I am going to go this next year.


      Emily

      Delete